Let’s face it, you can’t always travel first class. But here’s some tips to add a little luxe to any leg of your trip:
1. The American Express Platinum Card gets you exclusive airline club access for free so it’s worth the annual fee.
2. Two mobile apps we really like for travel to help save you time (and money) are TripIt & Gound Link. TripIt organizes all in one place your flight, hotel and rental car confirmation emails into simple, mobile travel itineraries. Ground Link is a great app for global car service and airport pick-up. Their brand positioning is: “Guaranteed on time. Or your next ride is free.” What could be finer?
3. The Public is a Chicago boutique hotel full of uh-mazing. (More on this in a separate entry!)
4. When traveling, just say no to succumbing to purchasing insipid tabloid fodder to help pass the time in-flight. Instead, we love reading the Ombudsman column at Conde Nast traveler and Monocle.
5. When checking in at your hotel, a little kindness goes a long way--especially with desk clerks. p.s. Ask for a room away from both the ice machine and the elevator and your chances at an upgrade just got a whole lot better.
6. Those noise canceling headphones? Yep, they work. They kill engine noise and are perfect for transatlantic flights. Our fave is still the Bose ones.
7. Your hotel maids are the ones doing all the heavy lifting. Take care. You should always tip your maid daily, and on average, a tip of $3-5 per night is recommended. (Only bills; no change, please) Be sure to mark your tip clearly, place in an envelope and leave your tip in an obvious place so there won’t be any confusion.
8. You can’t always plan your next meal, especially when you’re on the go. And with airlines so stingy these days, it’s best to be prepared. Our favorite? Kind bars. They taste great, they come in a variety of flavors and they’re actually “trainer approved.”
9. Remember to keep a great fitting / good-lookin’ pair of flip flops in your travel tote at all times. They’ll come in handy for the pool, and let’s face it, those hotel carpets can get a bit dicey at times. For men, we love these from Gucci with black leather and their signature red & green webbing. For women, believe it or not, we’re obsessed with the comfy-yet-glam pair from (wait for it), Payless.
10. A sexy hat and a great pair of shades conceals a multitude of sins. You can get away with murder (3 hours of sleep) with the right coverage and a jaunty attitude.
american express platinum | tripit | ground link | public hotel | conde nast traveler | monocle | bose | gucci | payless